This is an article that I wrote for a newsletter that was recently sent out. I thought I would post it here for you as well. Feel free to use it in your next mailing, but let me know that you did, because I love to know that the things I post here are helpful to others.
In this today’s real estate market there are new rules for what it takes to get it done. Here are the things that you should be looking for when you work with a Real Estate agent
1. Determination: Do they truly believe that they can help you with your transaction? Are they committed to helping you accomplish your goal? You would be amazed at how many agents are wandering around complaining about the market and that nothing is selling and buyers are not ready to do anything. That is simply just not true. There are pre approved buyers out there just waiting for that perfect place to come on the market and there are sellers with great properties that need to sell. Find an agent with a positive attitude that believes in you and the market.
- Resources: That old adage of it takes a village is definitely true in today’s market. Make sure your agent has a list of contractors, cleaners, stagers, inspectors and vendors that they use on a regular basis and can help you with whatever you need.
- Differentiation: As a Seller you need to stand out above the competition to sell in today’s market. Does your agent have the tools to do this? We have found that doing a building inspection prior to going on the market, showcasing the property so that it shows in the very best light and taking professional photos to include floorplans with measurements are three great ways to set you above the competition and get you better results. As a Buyer you need an agent that is experienced in presenting offers and highlighting your strengths as a buyer to make your offer as attractive as possible to the Seller. We have found that something as simple as writing a cover letter (which 95% of other agents do not do) can make a huge difference in how your offer is received.
- Strategy: What is your agent’s strategy? Weather you are buying or selling a home your agent should have a strategy from the beginning to help you get to your desired goal. Be sure to get these in writing up front so that you have clear expectations along the way as to how things are supposed to go and what the next steps are.
- Are they nice?: This may seem like a silly thing to evaluate, but really it matters. Negotiations are tougher now than ever. Many transactions take much more massaging than they ever did before. When the going gets tough, does your agent get snippy with the other agent and other parties involved? Being nice might not make the problem just go away, but it will go a long ways towards finding an outcome that works for both parties.
- Honesty: The market is the market, if you are a Buyer it is fantastic because your money is going further than it has in years. If you are a Seller it is hard not to look back and think about what you could have sold for. However, what you need is an agent that is willing to be honest with you about Today’s market and not the market last year or 6 months ago.
- Network: Your agent should work to actively build their network of contacts with other real estate agents both inside and outside of their company. As an agent we always feel better about working with someone that we know and like. It goes a long ways towards how smooth the transaction will be
- Previewing: Previewing is when an agent goes out to look at properties without an actual client with them. They could be looking at properties for a specific client or just heading out to see what is new on the market. Either way, your agent should had a minimum number of properties that they are committed to seeing every week in order to stay on top of the market which will allow them to have a fuller picture of the market and give you more accurate information.
- 9. Continuing Education: Real Estate agents are required to take classes on a regular basis to maintain their license, but not all classes are created equal. Make sure you are working with an agent who takes continuing education seriously and is always looking to sharpen their skills.
- Are they truly listening to you: Every Buyer and Seller has their own unique set of goals and parameters that they are working with then they are buying or selling a house. It is up to your agent to listen to these things and combine them with their market knowledge so that they can help you come up with a game plan to fit your needs. It is not a one size fits all business and you should feel that you have been heard and your goals taken into account when you are working with an agent.
To find out more about how I excel in each of these areas and can help you accomplish your Real Estate goals, give me a call today to schedule a complimentary consulation.