According to Dictionary.com marketing is:
1. the act of buying or selling in a market.
2. the total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling.
Sounds pretty dry for something that gets so much hype.
We tend to think of marketing as big, expensive, corporate ad campaigns with animation, super heroes and special effects galore. Things that we can’t even begin to touch as a real estate agent, or small business owner.
Yet, some agents manage to crush it with a steady stream of clients.
Marketing is essential for any successful business.
2 big questions that usually come up are:
What do I do?
How do I make time for it?
First, let’s focus marketing into 3 key points:
- Presentation: Ever heard the phrase “presentation is everything”? Well everything is also a presentation. From the little to the big. Are you on time for appointments? Do you respond in a reasonable amount of time? Are you well dressed? (ie. Not in yoga pants with your greasy hair in a baseball hat.) Do you have professional pictures for your listings? Do you proof read emails and print materials for spelling? When you look at it this way, you are already doing a lot a marketing. The question is: are you making the most of it?
- Engagement: Marketing for both yourself and your properties is about story telling. It’s a conversation, not a one and done interaction. Property videos are great because the sense of movement draws people in and keeps them coming back. Your personal marketing should also engage. Think of everything you do as a conversation starter.
- Consistency: This is far and away the most important piece. Whatever you do, do it consistently. If you are on social media, be consistent on 1 or 2 channels than sporadic on 6. For your Buyers and Sellers, it’s better to show up with a 6 page client package that you are completely comfortable with vs wasting time recreating the wheel every time. Consistency to us feels boring. To your clients, it is a key element to building trust. This is the biggest issue of the three, and something we cover in-depth during the Mindset ~ Marketing ~ Sales Mentorship Group.
Remember, marketing works when you least expect it.
You can post on social media and send out postcards repeatedly thinking they aren’t doing anything at all. Then, all of a sudden a client shows up, seemingly by magic, as a result of one of those.
If you are struggling with too many options, and not enough focus know that you are not alone.
Join us for the next round of the Mentorship Group to narrow your focus and increase your results. The fun starts April 12th.
To your success!