Dealing With A Bulldog
You know that person, they start off nice or cute and cuddly like the dog in the picture and before you know it they are dominating the situation. You say black, they say white seemingly just because. You ask them to do one thing and they ignore you and do something completely different. The word collaboration is not in their vocabulary.
Whether it’s a client or another agent, dealing with a bulldog is not fun, and can leave you reeling if you are not careful.
Before you know it, they have walked all over you, your boundaries are shot and you are getting angrier by the minute.
Or you notice yourself disengaging from the situation.
While giving up and walking away may sound good in the moment it doesn’t solve the problem and it doesn’t serve you or your business.
Here are a few tips for the next time you find yourself dealing with one:
- Address it early. Those conversations in the beginning when you think something is off, but you let it slide because you don’t want to be perceived as over reacting? You are not over reacting. Now is the time to say something. The longer it goes on, the harder it is to change the interaction, and the more “shocked” they will be that there is an issue.
- Be direct. If you are not a bulldog this can be uncomfortable. To you it will feel like you are being confrontational. To the bulldog it’s just normal conversation and what they need to hear in order to get it.
- Don’t take it personally. It can feel like a personal attack, but it’s not. This is just who they are. The sooner you let go of the personal part, the sooner you can move forward and find a way to work through things.
- Stand your ground. Treat it as an exercise in staying true to what your boundaries and speaking up.
- Be open. They might actually have some good ideas that are getting lost in an overly aggressive delivery. If you can find some common ground it can help to open things up for both of you.
More than anything, know that their overly aggressive persona is usually a mask for insecurity. Some people over compensate with the thought of “if I overpower you first then I can protect myself”.
Don’t let them block your momentum. Shift your mindset and approach to the situation to keep things moving forward.
Signup to receive Nicole's blog posts via email weekly:
I saw a funny meme on Instagram this week portraying the real life vs insta life version of being an agent. The instagram version showed a group of agents eating lunch together in designer clothes at a beautiful cafe. Versus the real life agent sitting alone, on the steps of a vacant house, eating a…Read More
I posted a reel on instagram this week that got a surprising amount of feedback. Surprising in how grateful people were to finally have someone admit the truth. You don’t have to be part of the 5am club to be successful. Did your shoulders relax just a little when you read that? I hope so.…Read More
You know those agents – the lucky ones whose clients magically show up, and they always seem to be having fun while posting sales and having a life. The type of agent you wish you could be – someday. What if YOU could be that person right now?? On the outside, luck can look like…Read More
This is your reminder to keep going and trust that things will work. It’s easy to be impatient and want to know how the story ends. Because if we know that, then we can get there faster and avoid making mistakes along the way. But that’s not how it works. And sometimes the mistakes are…Read More
This is one of the biggest things most agents are missing in their business. But if you’ve ever been a part of a great mastermind and have a solid tribe you know that it’s one of THE best things not only for your business, but for your soul. We aren’t meant to do this alone.…Read More
I was chatting with someone this week who mentioned that they were spending this week journaling, planning and deciding what they want to create in 2024. Sounds awesome! But their last comment got me – I know I should have done this sooner, but… Sooner says who? It got me thinking about all of the…Read More
Ideally it’s both. But somewhere between the joy of dreaming into new goals, and attaching metrics (ie the how) things can go from creative to confining. In the ‘what if’ space – it’s easy to be creative. At this point the possibilities are endless. There is no right or wrong, pass or fail. Actions and…Read More
As we head into the last 2 weeks of the year Grace and Light are the 2 words that keep coming up. Whether this is your favorite time of the year, or one that you would be just as happy to skip – it’s a lot. It can be an intense time of celebration, reflection,…Read More
Seems like a simple question. Of course the reflex answer is yes. I can absolutely have anything I want. But deep down do you believe it? I just came back from a few days of business planning with 3 amazing agents. When we get together we go deep. It’s WAY beyond what we want our…Read More
Today is December 1st. Which means 2024 is right around the corner. No sooner do we finish celebrating the accomplishments from this year – we reset the counters to zero and look to create something new. We list our goals, envision our future and formulate action plans. All necessary parts of the process. But what…Read More