Receive vs Get
A question I often hear is “how can I get business from social media”?
We hear about agents generating endless business from Facebook, Instagram, etc. They make it sounds so easy. Which leaves you wondering, how can I get some of that business too?
The problem lies in the question.
Really the questions should be “how can I provide value, so that I receive business from social media”?
All marketing, but especially social media, is part of a giver economy.
You receive as a result of what you give. Versus the energy of getting, which means you are not there to participate, but just want the end result.
Here are 5 tips to up your receiving game on social media:
- Consistency matters. Just like walking into a networking meeting and handing out business cards to random people doesn’t work, neither will your quarterly post. The shelf life of a social media post is relatively short. You need to be in people’s feed consistently to build a relationship with them.
- Engage in conversations. Yes, you need to engage in the comments on your posts, but don’t forget to comment on other people’s posts. The comments are where the gold is.
- Ditch your curated content. If you have been to any type of social media class, at some point they talk about scheduling or curating content. Essentially it means spending some time once week scheduling posts to go out later in the week. It’s the set it and forget it idea. I’m not a fan of curating, because in an effort to make it “evergreen” we tend to look for the most neutral thing we can find. Meaning it’s not unique to you. It also misses the engagement piece, in which case, why bother.
- Be real. The worst thing you can do is a post “because you are supposed to”. It will be stiff and contrived. This is your unofficial interview. Where people come to see the “real” you, not the photo-shopped you from your website. It’s your place to share the good, the bad, and the funny.
- Be in it for the long game. Know that it’s a layering effect. Relationship marketing takes time, and pays off when you least expect it. If you show up every day ready to give, the receiving will come.
More than anything, have fun, and be willing to try new things.
To your success!
Signup to receive Nicole's blog posts via email weekly:
I posted a reel on instagram this week that got a surprising amount of feedback. Surprising in how grateful people were to finally have someone admit the truth. You don’t have to be part of the 5am club to be successful. Did your shoulders relax just a little when you read that? I hope so.…Read More
You know those agents – the lucky ones whose clients magically show up, and they always seem to be having fun while posting sales and having a life. The type of agent you wish you could be – someday. What if YOU could be that person right now?? On the outside, luck can look like…Read More
This is your reminder to keep going and trust that things will work. It’s easy to be impatient and want to know how the story ends. Because if we know that, then we can get there faster and avoid making mistakes along the way. But that’s not how it works. And sometimes the mistakes are…Read More
This is one of the biggest things most agents are missing in their business. But if you’ve ever been a part of a great mastermind and have a solid tribe you know that it’s one of THE best things not only for your business, but for your soul. We aren’t meant to do this alone.…Read More
I was chatting with someone this week who mentioned that they were spending this week journaling, planning and deciding what they want to create in 2024. Sounds awesome! But their last comment got me – I know I should have done this sooner, but… Sooner says who? It got me thinking about all of the…Read More
Ideally it’s both. But somewhere between the joy of dreaming into new goals, and attaching metrics (ie the how) things can go from creative to confining. In the ‘what if’ space – it’s easy to be creative. At this point the possibilities are endless. There is no right or wrong, pass or fail. Actions and…Read More
As we head into the last 2 weeks of the year Grace and Light are the 2 words that keep coming up. Whether this is your favorite time of the year, or one that you would be just as happy to skip – it’s a lot. It can be an intense time of celebration, reflection,…Read More
Seems like a simple question. Of course the reflex answer is yes. I can absolutely have anything I want. But deep down do you believe it? I just came back from a few days of business planning with 3 amazing agents. When we get together we go deep. It’s WAY beyond what we want our…Read More
Today is December 1st. Which means 2024 is right around the corner. No sooner do we finish celebrating the accomplishments from this year – we reset the counters to zero and look to create something new. We list our goals, envision our future and formulate action plans. All necessary parts of the process. But what…Read More
I’m over here at my Dad’s still this week. I’ll be here for a total of 11 days. I love the time with him, but his internet is the WORST. I’m actually using my phone as a hot spot to write this post because the internet is so unstable. I’m all for taking time to…Read More