There’s no denying it, the market is different right now. There is more inventory, homes are taking longer to sell, and we are seeing more price reductions. There is a feeling of everyone holding their breath, waiting to see how it all shakes out.
My guess is that we won’t really know what is going on with the market until February or March of next year. That is when the market typically takes off and we see prices increase. If that happens, then this was a small blip, but if not, it is indicative of something bigger.
All of that sounds great, but what do you do in the meantime, knowing that you need to probably sell a house or two between now and then?
Here are some things to consider:
- Sales are still happening. Look at the market watch section of the MLS. It shows the new listings and pendings along with closings, price reductions and more. There are sales happening every day. Lots of them.
- No matter what happens – Sellers will still need to sell and Buyers will still need to buy.
The strategies you use may be different, but it’s all going to keep moving forward.
Remember, what you focus on expands.
With change comes an opportunity to stand out and be of service.
What do you say to your clients when you aren’t sure of the answers?
- It’s okay to say “I don’t know”. In fact, I think it instills confidence in your clients, because that is the most honest answer right now.
- Talk through the possibilities. With a buyer or a seller there are a couple of ways it can go in the short-term and the long-term. Make sure they are okay with their choices before moving forward.
- Ask them what they need from you in the process. Let them know you’re on their side and here to help with whatever they need.
Know that you can do this. More than anything, this is a time to show up as you. Be genuine, be honest, and be there to support your client throughout the process.
To your success!