It’s empowering to know that we can change our lives with our thoughts. I believe this whole heartedly, yet living it can be something else entirely.
The catch is that most of our thoughts are pre conditioned reactions that go unchecked and unfiltered. We can’t even really be sure if they are positive or negative. It’s just what we think.
Until something happens, and awareness slips in. We take a class, read a book or have a conversation about our thoughts and we start to tune in.
Awareness combined with focused intent on what we want to create can be a powerful thing.
But we can also find that the ideal version of things and the real world version can be at odds.
Here’s what I mean. You decide to focus on selling 30 homes a year, so ideally your thoughts go like this:
- It is easy for me to sell 30 homes a year
- I have happy and loyal clients who joyfully refer me to others
- I enjoy working with buyers and sellers
- I have strong systems that allow me to easily take care of my clients
- I am happy and grateful to have a successful real estate business
Here’s what it tends to look like in real life:
- It’s easy to sell 30 homes a year
- I guess I’ll have to give up all of my family time and vacations to do this
- I have happy and loyal clients who refer me
- But what if the market crashes and I can’t sell any houses?
- I love working with buyers and sellers
- My listing didn’t sell in a week, what if I’m not cut out for this business?
- I am happy and grateful to have a successful business
- Why is everyone else busy and I’m not?
The real life version of your thoughts is often a tennis match of what you want vs your fears.
So how do you get rid of the counter productive thoughts? Or at least turn down the volume?
Here are 3 tips to help:
- Be aware of them. You can’t change something if you don’t even know it’s there. When a negative or counter productive thought pops up, acknowledge it and then consciously choose a different thought that is more empowering.
- The biggest derailer is the “I’m just keeping it real” comment. ie. I can’t close any more transactions between now and the end of the year because the market is slower. Maybe it is slower, but things ARE still selling. Quick closings are STILL happening. Your job is to connect with the clients motivated to buy or sell by the end of 2018.
- Know that mindset is probably THE hardest thing to do on your own. Get a coach, or a friend who is willing to be completely honest with you and your words and thoughts.
Know that no matter where you are in your life, there is always something that can shift to make it better, easier and more fun. It’s a life long process.
Treat it as a game, and be an active participant.
Always remember, you are choosing your future, one thought, one action, and one emotion at a time.
To your success!
~ Know someone who could benefit from the blog? Please forward this along. Want to sign up for a weekly dose of insight and inspiration? You can do so by clicking here.