Changing Strategies and Other Puzzle Lessons
With the stay in place order extended to May 4th and a shift in how we are supposed to conduct real estate, things are definitely different.
Your typical market strategy for April and May may not work right now.
How do you shift gears with our new (hopefully temporary) normal?
Here’s some puzzle wisdom that might help right now:
- Start with what’s easy: With puzzles that’s the edge pieces. They are the easiest to identify and fit together. What is one simple, and easy thing you can do right now to stay connected? For me it’s calling clients and sending hand written note cards.
- You have to change strategies from time to time: Strategy is all about focus. With puzzles, it helps to have a strategy for the interior. Are you going to put together the sky, the buildings, the landscaping, etc? Some days one strategy works better than another. Spring is typically a time that we make big monetary investments in our business. Right now, though, our focus is on conserving cash. File this one under lessons learned from 2008. I believe with my whole heart that the real estate market will be fine, but it’s good business sense to be prepared if there is a dry spell in the middle.
- What you focus on expands: In puzzles, do you ever have that moment when you set the intention to find a specific piece and it seems to jump from the pile so obvious that you can’t figure out how you missed it before? The same is true for everything. The best thing you can do today, and always is to focus on things to be grateful for and appreciate. That may or may not have anything to do with Real Estate. Getting my butt kicked in Uno yesterday by Alex and Ryan made me happy. That energy carries forward to everything else that I do.
- Sometimes things are not what you initially think: I love those “aha” moments with puzzle pieces when I thought the image was one thing, and then I realize it was something else entirely. It’s a good reminder to stay out of judgement and prediction mode. It is natural for all of us to want assurances, to know what’s next, but what is going on right now is the perfect example of we can’t control what’s around us, only how we react to it. Make it your intention each day to be of service to your clients. Call your clients, listen to what they have to say and find ways to serve. Even if it isn’t directly related to a transaction.
- Sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away and come back later: With puzzles I often get to a point where I can’t seem to find any matches. When that happens I know the best thing is to walk away. When I come back later things will start clicking again. Be easy with yourself right now. Some days it’s good to press forward. But sometimes it’s good to focus on something other than real estate knowing that the break will give you a new perspective.
What changes or insights have come up for you in these last few weeks? Hit reply and let me know. I’m always curious to know what you are up to.
To your success!
Signup to receive Nicole's blog posts via email weekly:
I posted a reel on instagram this week that got a surprising amount of feedback. Surprising in how grateful people were to finally have someone admit the truth. You don’t have to be part of the 5am club to be successful. Did your shoulders relax just a little when you read that? I hope so.…Read More
You know those agents – the lucky ones whose clients magically show up, and they always seem to be having fun while posting sales and having a life. The type of agent you wish you could be – someday. What if YOU could be that person right now?? On the outside, luck can look like…Read More
This is your reminder to keep going and trust that things will work. It’s easy to be impatient and want to know how the story ends. Because if we know that, then we can get there faster and avoid making mistakes along the way. But that’s not how it works. And sometimes the mistakes are…Read More
This is one of the biggest things most agents are missing in their business. But if you’ve ever been a part of a great mastermind and have a solid tribe you know that it’s one of THE best things not only for your business, but for your soul. We aren’t meant to do this alone.…Read More
I was chatting with someone this week who mentioned that they were spending this week journaling, planning and deciding what they want to create in 2024. Sounds awesome! But their last comment got me – I know I should have done this sooner, but… Sooner says who? It got me thinking about all of the…Read More
Ideally it’s both. But somewhere between the joy of dreaming into new goals, and attaching metrics (ie the how) things can go from creative to confining. In the ‘what if’ space – it’s easy to be creative. At this point the possibilities are endless. There is no right or wrong, pass or fail. Actions and…Read More
As we head into the last 2 weeks of the year Grace and Light are the 2 words that keep coming up. Whether this is your favorite time of the year, or one that you would be just as happy to skip – it’s a lot. It can be an intense time of celebration, reflection,…Read More
Seems like a simple question. Of course the reflex answer is yes. I can absolutely have anything I want. But deep down do you believe it? I just came back from a few days of business planning with 3 amazing agents. When we get together we go deep. It’s WAY beyond what we want our…Read More
Today is December 1st. Which means 2024 is right around the corner. No sooner do we finish celebrating the accomplishments from this year – we reset the counters to zero and look to create something new. We list our goals, envision our future and formulate action plans. All necessary parts of the process. But what…Read More
I’m over here at my Dad’s still this week. I’ll be here for a total of 11 days. I love the time with him, but his internet is the WORST. I’m actually using my phone as a hot spot to write this post because the internet is so unstable. I’m all for taking time to…Read More